Thursday, June 26, 2008

The Agony of Campus Followup

I'm sure our US team has impressions of our early campus ministry in Iligan City. In our first two days we visited seven High School campuses. I recall the first campus. Alleatha and Daniel McLaughlin shared their testimonies - stories I hadn't heard. We did skits - "Two Masters" - and sang acapella. One of the many sites where we didn't have a sound system nor power (we arrived in Mindanao during a particularly rainy period and power was "had" from the first night - I love lightning!). 

Dan Gardner shared. And then the call to respond. There were a lot of High Schoolers who responded to the call that occurred. In particular I had the privilege of leading over ten to Jesus. It was a rewarding time of ministry but one that has unsettled me as well. 

While we partnered with our Iligan team from the Roosevelt church in downtown and their youth ministry, there were so many that responded to Jesus for salvation. In each of the High Schools many responded and for most it was a first time meeting with Jesus and responding to the call to follow him. So many - over 600 - and yet how would our Iligan team follow up on these campuses in which they had few contacts or a core set of believers. It led me to pause and to allow my heart to break a bit for these little ones that Jesus said to "not forbid." And yet are we leading them to Jesus and leaving them at the "altar" without a shepherd? 

It is a heart cry for now. What can we do for all these beautiful people who sincerely want to follow after God. They want to know this Jesus who is more than a man on a cross - but the living son of God who loves them and wants them to experience his liberty and his overwhelming presence. 

I remember leaving our campus partners the night before we departed the city and prayed with them for God's provision and wisdom in following up with all the "little ones" that need care. God, it is my prayer now that you bring a revival that bears fruit on these campuses.  I may not have the spellings right but I'm listing the High Schools we visited ... Lord, hear these names, remember the faces and bring them shepherding care.

Iligan City High Schools
• Suarez
• Fishery
• Cristiana National
• Tomi Noble
• Mahayahay
• Puga An
• Planon

620 decisions for Christ! Jesus ... hear this prayer.

No comments: